Tuesday, October 5, 2010

500

As Carole Epp said, this was far more difficult than she expected, with many gorgeous choices. We'd like to present #500, the handiwork of artist Shawna Pincus! Here is Carole's note:

"For #500 I chose "Out of the way plate" by Pink Kiss. The aesthetic of this piece was quite compelling for me as it reminded me of a vintage prairie kitchen, where simplicity and family dinners coexist with hard work and the usefulness of objects, rather than excessive consumption. The statement, "because they were out of the way; no one would see them" printed on the plate opened a number of narratives in my mind. From heart racing love stories to an eerie "what's the building in there" sort of Tom Waits reference. The piece for me was so much more than a one liner. It was a conversation starter. I can picture the place it might hold on a dinner table between family members or close friends. Mealtime when stories are recounted and shared. This piece to me serves more than one function. It is a carrier for food, an instigator of daydreams, and a beautiful object to behold and cherish.

I sorta feel like I want to give feedback to everyone who took the time to submit as each work was so beautiful. I loved each artist's submission for very different reasons. Some runner-up pieces that particularly stood out were Kyle Carpenter's piece and Forrest Diem's piece. I can't even begin to imagine how to achieve that amazing glaze combination."

Thank you, Carole, and a big thank you to everyone who sent in an url, we enjoyed looking at all of your work.

1 comment:

pinkkiss said...

Wow! Thank you so much, I'm really honored.
-Shawna Pincus